Tonight I was given the opportunity to not only cook for my husband but also for one of his Army buddies from his unit. Although our time was short, the food was great and the company was greater.
The recipe I tried was from another blog called “Skinny Mom”. I stumbled across the recipe on Pinterest and had to try it! Needless to say, it was a hit! Now that we’ve tried it, I have to share with you. Bon appetite!
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 23.25 oz jar Prego® Light Smart Traditional Italian Sauce
- 12 oz package penne pasta
- ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups low moisture, part-skim, shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, diced (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, diced (or 1 tsp dried)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook penne according to the package instructions for al denté, about 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onion and garlic until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Turn down heat to medium-low. Add the entire jar of pasta sauce to the onion and garlic, stir.
- Drain pasta and add to pasta sauce.
- In a medium size bowl combine cottage cheese, ricotta, 1½ cups of mozzarella and herbs.
- In a 9×13 pan, add ½ pasta mixture. Then spread all of the cheese mixture evenly on top. Next, layer the remaining pasta. Sprinkle the top with the rest of the shredded mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
Original Blog Credit: http://www.skinnymom.com/2012/08/06/skinny-3-cheese-penne/#.Us2zVRYTHzJ
baked with love, t.